Become a seasonal Historical Interpreter at Historic Dunvegan Provincial Park.
Do you enjoy interacting with people? Would you like to share our province’s heritage? As a seasonal Historical Interpreter, you will learn and share history, develop your creativity, meet people from all walks of life, and more.
Seasonal positions are generally available May 1 through Labour Day each year.
- Historic Dunvegan is located 26 km south of Fairview on Highway 2. It served as a gathering place for local Indigenous peoples for thousands of years before becoming the home of 2 important fur trade companies and 2 Christian missions.
- Dressed in period costume, you will assist with the planning and presentation of educational, special event, and public interpretive programs.
- The successful candidates will work in a small team environment.
- Other duties include: the collection of fees and visitor statistics, promotion and marketing, assisting with the gift shop, day-to-day administration, and routine cleaning.
- Weekend work is required.
- A successful candidate for this position will be able to learn large amounts of information quickly and be able to confidently speak and work with a range of audiences with varying backgrounds, from young children to seniors, in groups both large and small. He/she will work collaboratively as a member of a small workplace team. The position requires a basic understanding of the history of Alberta, an interest in historical interpretation, as well as communication, creativity, and organizational skills.
- Post-secondary education and/or experience in the following fields are desirable: Historical Interpretation, Education, Drama, Canadian History, Aboriginal Studies, and Recreation Administration. Other assets could include: Previous experience in customer service, working with children and seniors, and heritage skills (beadwork, finger weaving, spinning, etc.).
- Successful candidates must be able to provide a current Standard First Aid Certificate (including CPR-C) and at least a Class 5 driver’s licence.
- Successful candidates will be required to provide a Driver’s Abstract and to undergo a criminal record check.
- Successful candidates will be required to have their own personal vehicle for getting to and from work.
Wage: $19.91 per hour (under review)
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter, preferably by email, to Stephanie McLachlan.
Please indicate Historic Dunvegan on your cover letter.